Join us and make a difference!
Andy at Camp Dakota.
The Moy family meeting with
Sen. Debbie Stabenow during
NPF's Capitol Hill Day 2011
Andy at the Nerf War
At age 15, Andy has spent most of his life dealing with the pain and discomfort of juvenile psoriatic arthritis. He also had to discontinue another medication which was affecting his kidneys.
In April 2012, Andy had joint injections in his jaw to ease the pain and inflammation that made it hard for him to eat. Andy also has inflammation in his rib cage making it difficult to breathe when his is in an arthritis flare.
As if the disease itself is not enough, the side effects from the numerous pills and injections often take their toll. Andy has to endure monthly blood draws and often feels sick to his stomach due to the medications. In 2011, Andy ended up in the emergency room while having a severe allergic reaction from his infusion medication.
Unfortunately, Andy is not alone in his fight against this disease. There are 300,000 children in the U.S. with a form of juvenile arthritis and roughly 200,000 children are diagnosed with psoriasis every year. That's right — kids. Yes, you can get psoriasis and arthritis at any age. And no, there is no cure.
That's why we support the Arthritis Foundation (AF) and the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) in their efforts to fund research, continue education programs, and promote advocacy. These organizations provide us — and other families like ours — so much support. With their help, we have been able to connect with other families and individuals through AF's Juvenile Arthritis Conference and NPF's Volunteer Leadership Conference and Capitol Hill Day.
In addition, for the past 8 years, Andy has attended AF's Camp Dakota, a weeklong camp for kids with arthritis and related diseases. It is a place for friendship, a place where Andy "fits in," and a place where Andy can just be a kid.
Please join Andy and the rest of Roo's Crew in our fight to find a cure for psoriasis and arthritis. It's easy and we have a lot of fun!
- Join Roo's Crew at the Detroit Zoo Walk to Cure Arthritis on May 10, 2014. While this is a free Arthritis Foundation event, Roo's Crew challenges each family on our team to raise $100 to help fund research, educational programs, and Camp Dakota.
- Help us blast out arthritis with our Nerf War on March 8, 2014, at Stars & Stripes Kids Activity Center in Clarkston, Mich. The event will benefit Roo's Crew's Walk to Cure Arthritis team.
- Participate in the Zehnder's of Frankenmth raffle that continues through April 15, 2014. This fundraiser benefits Roo's Crew's Walk to Cure Arthritis team.
- Join Andy in raising funds through the Team NPF's Teen with Dream campaign. Andy and his mother Jaime are NPF ambassadors. Raising awareness psoriatic disease is important to their quality of life. Raising funds is important for researchers to find a cure.
- Attend our Crop, Cards & Crafts scrapbook fundraiser in the fall. It's a great time to get caught up on your projects! This fundraiser is hosted by Andy's aunt and benefits Roo's Crew's Walk to Cure Arthritis team.
See our Team Fundraising page for details on these fundraisers. Thank you for your kindness and support.